Pho Hoa Hiep 5 Kevin’s Noodle House

by foodhoe on January 7, 2007

1833 Willow Pass Rd, Concord, CA 94520 (925) 677-2131

otherwise known as Kevin’s Noodle House…

This is a very utilitarian little restaurant tucked away in a strip mall in far away Concord. Fortunately we were able to look it up on-line to figure out how to get there. It is bustling and the clientele is predominantly asian families in for the large bowls of gorgeous Vietnamese noodle soup.

The tables are equipped with the requisite tools for eating pho: a lazy susan with a squeeze bottle of hoisin sauce, another of Sriracha chili sauce, vietnamese garlic chili sauce, fish sauce), a napkin dispenser of sheer napkins that are ridiculously not up to the job of sopping up the various disasters inherent with slurping very hot soup and eating with long slippery noodles (with chopstix), a container of aforementioned long plastic chinese chopsticks, another filled with ceramic chinese soup spoons, and a stack of small bowls in which to squirt a blob of both hoisin and sriracha chili sauce so you can dip things into it for additional flavor.

The server flew by and dropped off the plate of vegetable condiments for pho: uncooked bean sprouts, fresh cilantro and basil leaves, slices of jalapeno peppers and quarters of lime to complement the soup.

I ordered a medium special (which came with flank, brisket, tripe, meatballs and tendon). It was very tasty and arrived steaming and full of meat and gristle, exactly how I like it. The broth was flavorful, though not as complex and aromatic as my favorite restaurant, Le Soleil. Very good, and they have an excellent selection of tapioca boba drinks that I can never imagine eating after a big bowl of pho…

click here to read about the spicy beef stew

Maryam in Marrakesh January 8, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Hello there. I followed a link back to your blog! I am not sure how you found me but so happy to have found you. And this is esp surprising since I, too, went to a strip mall yesterday to a Pho restaurant and ordered a big bowl. Mine had no tendon or gristle (eek) but lots of tender beef and so delicious.

foodhoe January 15, 2007 at 6:24 pm

oh but you should try it just once!

can you really go to a strip mall and eat pho in marrakech? how cool is that?

miHe January 28, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Hey! Greetings from the Sunset.. I did not know there was another PHH/KNH!! Mine is on Irving between 19th and 20th Avenues.. and there are at least 4 other vietnamese establishments within a distance of 4 blocks (yes, that’s an average of one per block!) I’m about to nourish myself with some pho right now..

Larry Edelstein February 20, 2007 at 9:24 am

I didn’t know either – the Sunset location is where I go. I think it’s the best Vietnamese I’ve had. Really!

Pete March 24, 2007 at 9:01 am

Ahhh .. .memories.. I used to eat at Kevin’s all the time …. Since the move to AK … salmon sandwiches and burgers … and kimchi soup and kimchi fried rice … kimchi noodle … I am not making this stuff up!!

foodhoe March 24, 2007 at 2:53 pm

it’s true I am really lucky to have all of these eating options closeby. I love kimchee but dunno about soup, fried rice and noodle… sounds good though! especially when it’s cold

Damian November 11, 2007 at 7:41 pm

buckethead released an album for this resturant “Kevin’s Noodle House

ron January 29, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Believe it or not, I just ran into your review scrounging around on google. Nice job, Foodhoe!

Ron W

foodhoe January 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm

damian, i’ll have to check that out…
ron! so nice to hear from you! This is one of the best pho places around