Pho Hoa Ty, Authentic Vietnamese Restaurant in Hayward

by foodhoe on January 31, 2008

21849 Mission Blvd, (between Rose St & Sunset Blvd), Hayward, CA 94541 (510) 881-0928 | open 7 days 9 am – 10 pm

Last Friday night it was pouring rain and there was nothing inspiring in the refrigerator at home so I convinced Mr. K that we needed to explore one of the many hole-in-the-wall options in nearby Hayward for a steaming bowl of Vietnamese noodles. I chose this place because any restaurant on Yelp earning 4 out of 5 stars based on 24 reviews means that it is downright on fire for our neck of the woods… We drove slowly through the downpour, peering out into the dark trying to read street numbers and we saw the sign, which shown like a beacon on the poorly lit street.

Ahhh, a fluorescent paradise with acoustic tile ceilings and the TV enthusiastically blaring Jeopardy for background music… it had a nice comfortable atmosphere. I noticed that we had the full arsenal of condiments and necessary tools at our table, even a few serrated knives thrown in for good measure.

We got a nice big pile of veggies with lemon instead of the usual lime as well as bunches of cilantro with some stems of basil.

Since I had regular pho for lunch the day before, I went with #38 the Pho Bo Kho – skinny rice noodles topped with beef stew meat and glistening with a slick of red, spicy oil. This was quite good, the meat was tender and fell apart when prodded with my chopsticks. The spicy broth was robust with a rich and mature flavor that brightened up nicely with a few squeezes of lemon and the fresh vegetables and herbs.

Mr. K had theChicken Noodle Soup, Pho Ga. It’s interesting to note that the server invariably gives him the stew and me the chicken, bearing out that gender stereotypes extend even to what noodles we order. He was very psyched to note that it was full bodied and flavorful, he even went so far as to state that it rivaled and possibly surpassed our old standby Le Soleilin downtown San Leandro.

We enjoyed our bowls and were really glad to know that there is great pho to be found so close to home and with such a big wide open parking lot (one of the few perks of living in the burbs…) I’m happy that they serve my favorite spicy beef stew, as it is not served at all pho restaurants., and the prices were rock bottom reasonable, especially when compared to city-prices. One of these days I’m going to come for breakfast as I hear that pho is really a breakfast meal, which sounds absolutely wonderful to me, especially with the cold rainy weather we’ve been having.

Pho Hoa Ty on Urbanspoon

Yi January 31, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I LOVE Pho Hoa! I used to go to the one in Milpitas Ranch all the time! Just a couple of random questions that’s been on my mind. Are you female? If so, is Mr. K your hubby?

foodhoe January 31, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Yi, yes I am female and Mr. K is my hubby. I guess my gender stereotype statement could be confusing. I thought this place looked like a chain cuz their menu said Oakland on it…

rowena February 1, 2008 at 10:23 am

Today my olfactory senses are extremely “visual” sensitive for some reason. Whether it was on purpose or not, the sequence of your food images affected me as such:
1. Lemon wedges and cilantro: My nostril hairs began to tickle with interest…
2. The Pho Bo Kho: I swear I could actually INHALE the aroma of that spicy beef broth.
3. Mr. K’s Pho Ga: Lost the scent trail because the pho bo kho was still mired in my nostrils.

I’d say keep your fridge staples to a bare minimum. You being you, there’ll always be someplace delicious to discover!

foodhoe February 1, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Rowena you are too funny! Our refrigerate is always crammed full of things that require a lot of effort to make into a meal… and yes me being me, I’m always opting for the easy way out!

Kirk February 1, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Hey FH – Is that “Mi” (egg noodle) in the Pho Ga? BTW, that gender thing is very true, though not without some backing….at our favorite Central Vietnamese Soup shop, the Server would always bring me the Bun Bo Hue, and the Missus the Bun Rieu. So over a few weeks, we kind of took an informal “poll” of sorts…and females eating bun rieu outnumbered males having bun rieu by something like 12 to 1!

Single Guy Chef February 1, 2008 at 8:32 pm

I could eat pho every day if it wasn’t for all the succulent meat on top. (I know, I could get chicken, but that doesn’t sound like pho to me.) Foodhoe, is this related to the Pho Hoa II in Oakland Chinatown across the street from Shan Dong Shanghai dumpling place?

foodhoe February 2, 2008 at 12:27 am

kirk, you have good eyes. yes that is egg noodles. I’ve never heard of Bun Rieu and looked it up and boyoboyoboy I’m going to get a bowl as soon as I can!
SingleGuy, I’m with you. It could be related, their menu said Pho Hoa Oakland

Lawrence March 28, 2008 at 5:22 pm

the food at noodle house is very excellent eating place, and a nice clean place in Hayward I have not seen one in Oakland like this in maybe someone will put a noodle house with the same name. so I don’t have too walk all four long blocks in Hayward.