Springtime at the Lobster Shack – closed

by foodhoe on March 26, 2008

*~*~*~*~*~*~ this restaurant has closed*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After my previous visit: 8-10-07, I wanted to come back in the spring to try the hard shell lobster. According to this site lobsters shed their shells during summer and it takes several months for the new shell to harden. The lobster absorbs more water while forming its new larger shell and during this time the meat is less dense and to many, more succulent and sweet. Apparently the shells are so soft that you don’t even really need a cracker or other utensils to eat them, but the downside is that there is less meat as the lobster has absorbed more water to fit in its new shell and hasn’t fleshed out, so to speak… As you can see these are not cheap, but the restaurant flies lobsters in fresh every few days and does not serve frozen meat, which makes a big difference on the quality of the food.

JT and I split a Double plate, which saves a few bucks, but then you have to split the chips… Since you only save about a dollar each, I am not sure that this is the best deal as I find it hard to share my chips and don’t partcularly like the coleslaw, especially with a plastic container of butter sitting inside of it…

I found the meat to be firm and sweet, definitely more meaty and not spongey like the last time. I have a distinct preference for the firmer textured meat of the hard shelled lobster. The preparation of the Maine Lobster Roll is just the barest hint of mayonnaise, some green onion, salt and pepper in custom made top loading buns. I dribbled a little melted butter from JT’s container since she ordered hers naked, which is served plain with butter and lemon.

Sarah got a Lobster Roll Combo Plate which includes a cup of Chowder. This is a pretty big mug of thick and rich soup.

Andy had the Grilled Cheese with Fries, midwestern comfort food and the most reasonably priced item on the menu. It was slightly burnt, just like mom used to make it.

It was a satisfying lunch and we stopped off at the bakery next door for some cookies on the way back to the office. JT was ogling the Lobster Mac ‘n Cheese on the menu and I’m thinking about the Lobster Pot pie, so we’ll be back again.

North Beach Lobster Shack in San Francisco

rowena March 27, 2008 at 9:00 am

Awhile back I was admiring a post on lobster rolls…boy do they look SO GOOD. I’ll have to do live lobster…one day. One day when, I don’t know. Can’t bring myself to send them to their doom although I had no problems with the softshell crabs…heh heh.

Chuck March 27, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the reminder to check out the North Beach location. I’ve only been to the Redwood City shop. I like my lobster roll NAKED with a squeeze of lemon!

Have you tried the crab roll at Fish in Sausalito yet? It’s pretty good too. The french fries with it are great.

rachel March 27, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Oh, yum. I always want to make lobster rolls but the few times we get lobster, I never want to eat it any way but plain.

chiffOnade March 27, 2008 at 8:32 pm

My boygriend “Big Bear” (note his BEAUTIFUL photo on my website . . . he is just SOOOooo cute!) takes me to the Lobster Shack everytime we are in the area.

However, since we own a simply adorable 5200-square foot “summer home” in Bar Harbor, we were NOT impressed with their lobster at the Shack.

After all, our Maine lobster is SOOooo far superior. Not to mention that I am a PROFESSIONAL CHEF who attended Peter Kump’s Culinary School in my hometown of Brooklyn, NY.

But then everyone is not as fortunate as I am to have met “Big Bear” here in our second summer home in Clearwater, Florida.

TaaDaa, for now.

<3, Chiffy

Lone March 27, 2008 at 11:48 pm

^^^Sure hope this was some sarcasm in that last post.

On topic-
The food looks wildly mouthwatering and the pics are great. Dont know if Id call the (cheese) toast burnt but thats a matter of tastebuds of course. Mmm.

foodhoe March 28, 2008 at 3:03 am

rowena, I know what you mean about the live critters… :( that’s the beauty of going to a restaurant where all you have to do is order and then eat!
chuck, yes I see the beauty of it plain with just the lemon. I have been to Fish and had the crab roll. I remember the fries were really good too.
rachel, I agree that fresh cooked is best plain, but I have to say these rolls are pretty good!
chiffy, I’m at a loss at what to say…
Lone, … ! Thanks, it had just the right amount of carbon!

Mrs. L March 30, 2008 at 8:00 am

I’ve been craving Lobster Rolls for ages. I’ll have to see if I can get to Lobster Shack sometime soon.