I try my hand at Japchae, Korean noodles

by foodhoe on November 25, 2008

I found the most amazing website, Cooking Korean Food with Maangchi, which has tons of information about Korean cooking, videos of the charming Maangchi offering very cool cooking demonstrations, recipes and an extremely useful glossary of the mysterious ingredients she uses.  This is like having your own teacher showing you how to make great home cooked Korean food!  I made my favorite noodle dish, Japchae, with very little effort following her recipe and youtube video.

The supple and elastic potato starch noodles are sumptuous when mixed with rich sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar

And a fresh mix of vegetables and thinly sliced beef

The recipe made a huge pile of noodles that I enjoyed for a quite a few meals…

If you want to learn how to make Korean food, check out Maangchi’s site.  Her recipes are fearlessly flavorful and she shows you how to get those outrageously pungent Korean flavors.

grace November 26, 2008 at 3:50 am

the transparency of those noodles is awesome–kinda alien-esque. 🙂

graces last blog post..the brilliance of cakespy

Single Guy Chef November 26, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Wow, that looks yummy. You find the most interesting sites, Foodhoe! I have to check it out, I love Korean food. Where did you get the noodles? Were they specifically marked as Korean noodles?

foodhoe November 26, 2008 at 2:41 pm

grace, not only do they look awesome, they taste pretty good
single guy, I was searching for korean recipes online… I have been wanting to make the recipe for a while and had picked up the noodles at Ranch 99. They had korean writing on the wrap, along with english translations so I knew they were potato noodles.

rowena November 26, 2008 at 11:16 pm

I love those dark specks of black pepper in the last image. Come now, with images like this you should be cooking for “us” more often!

White On Rice Couple November 28, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I love Maangchi too! She is just amazing!
Wow, this dish looks great too! Give me a big, big bowl…please! 😀

foodhoe November 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm

rowena, thanks and ya know, my favorite flavors of the dish are the sesame oil and the black pepper.
white on rice couple, all you vloggers rock!

Gastronomer December 2, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Awesome. Thanks for introducing me to Maangchi. She’s going on the blog roll.

Gastronomers last blog post..Mì Cà Ri Gà – Chicken Curry with Fresh Egg Noodles

Toby November 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I love Japchae, in fact I think Korean foods are a hidden gem, It won’t be long until it’s everywhere. This site is great: easykoreanfood.com