Fried Chicken at Eureka Restaurant

by foodhoe on February 16, 2009

4063 18th St. (btwn. Castro & Hartford Sts.) SF, CA 94114
| (415) 431-6000 | website

Yes, again.  But we had these bogo (buy one get one)  free coupons…  and I really wanted to try the fried chicken, which is only served on Monday nights.  But the best thing was that they let us use the coupon with a party of four so we got four entrees for the price of two!  Anyways, I came here last year when they were all dolled up for the holidays so this time I was able to see the details without all the shiny and festive decorations to distract me.   The building is laid out like a typical San Francisco flat – rambling, kinda cramped, but with high ceilings.   As you walk in, you can see part of the tiny kitchen ahead, and there is a smallish dining area through the doorway to the right, and the stairs are to the left.

A cozy dining area with a fireplace and bay windows is upstairs, along with  the bar and lounge area.  There are literally about 6  tables upstairs and I sat at the same one both times I ate here.  It feels like you have entered a sanctuary when the door closes behind you, leaving the urban cacophany of the castro outside.

Since we were getting such a deal on the entrees, we decided to get the Eureka Macaroni & Cheese (12) and split it between four of us.  The server explained why the pasta is special, but I don’t remember any of the details… I do remember that I loved the texture, it was silky smooth but had the right amount of chew and was coated with a tangy creamy sauce and the top was lightly browned and crisp.  It was very good, but Debbie was unimpressed and thought it was bland.  Well, that just meant there was more for the rest of us!

Three of us had the Buttermilk Battered Fried Chicken with braised greens, mashed potatoes & gravy (17).  That was some good fried chicken!  The skin had a light airy crispness forming a thin, succulent crust that sealed in the juices.  I was focused on the taste and texture of the chicken skin but the meat underneath the crispy skin was moist and full of flavor too.  I became obsessed with the fluffy mashed potatos because the gravy was so good and inhaled the whole thing, but the sweet potato black bean relish didn’t do it for me.

Here is Brennans plate, which had sauteed snap peas for the greens.  The portions are very generous… we each got about a half a chicken!

Cody enjoyed the Braised Pork Shoulder with Butternut Squash, Sugar Snap Peas, Pickled Onions & Tamarind, Garlic, Ginger Sauce (19).  I love the sauce on this dish, it is complex and very flavorful.

Despite being too full to finish my chicken, we decided to split the Warm Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (8) and did a very good job of devouring every morsel.

In my previous post I mentioned that the restaurant offers a happy hour, a variety of discounts and you can get a $50 gift certificate for $25 here, and even better – their last newsletter has the famous two for one coupon that is good Sunday through Thursday.  I recommend the Monday night Fried Chicken, which is especially enticing with this excellent coupon.  Also, vote for them as the most romantic restaurant on SFGate.com Baylist!

Rosa February 17, 2009 at 12:08 am

Mmmhhh, that Mac and cheese looks creamy to please… A nice meal!

Passionate Eater February 17, 2009 at 2:33 am

I love that this coupon deal ended up being a great one (unlike that terrible restaurants.com coupon experience). Eureka! It seems like you hit gold in a search for a great fried chicken place in SF!

foodhoe February 17, 2009 at 10:28 am

Rosa, Thanks! I wish I had a bowl of that mac and cheese for breakfast…
PE, yes the coupon was an honest to goodness deal! and yes I did keep saying Eureka! too

grace February 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

i have to say, that mac & cheese looks anything but bland! 🙂

graces last blog post.."…the answer invariably comes back: cinnamon."

Single Guy Chef February 17, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Foodhoe, you know how I feel about fried chicken, so all I have to say is that braised pork look yummy! 😉 The dishes sure sound more comfort-food than the fancy stylized dishes Eureka had on the menu when it opened. I wonder if it’s the sign of the times that restaurants are moving to comfort food to entice diners. I think it’s pretty smart of Eureka to go that route, and to offer all the deals. Who can resist 2-for-1?!

Single Guy Chefs last blog post..Hippies and Liberals at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market

Carolyn Jung February 17, 2009 at 3:08 pm

So in the world of fried chicken in the Bay Area, how would you rank this one? I ask because my hubby is a huge fried chicken fanatic, and always interested in finding the best place for it in this area.

foodhoe February 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm

grace, yep and no cinnamon either…
single guy, we went specially for the Monday night fried chicken, and I think that the comfort food has turned out to be the most popular. It is a nice neighborhood spot and the discounts keep me coming back!
Carolyn, I am not an aficionado, but I liked it as much as the chicken at Maverick which has a thicker beer batter crust. You should go and use that coupon! Oh and here’s a link to a really good recipe.

Robert-Gilles February 17, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Greetings!
I see you have changed little!
I still wonder how you can eat so much (great) food!LOL
Robert-Gilles

Gastronomer February 18, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Sweet, sweet deal, Foodhoe. I’m gonna miss these great deals once the recession is over 😉 J/K

Gastronomers last blog post..Osteria Mozza – Los Angeles (Hollywood)

Kirk February 18, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Hi FH – No two words sound better to me together than fried + chicken. I’m glad this coupon experience turned out well.

Kirks last blog post..Luang Prabang: Dinner at Tamarind – Part 1

Cookie February 19, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Ok so is this even better than Farmer Brown?

Cookies last blog post..I Beat Bouchon in a TASTE TEST!

foodhoe February 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Robert-Gilles, yes I’m still chasing fried foods around San Francisco…
gastronomer, no kidding! I love all the deals too
kirk, definitely one of my favorite taste sensations and I’m glad there are some coupons that actually save us some bucks!
Cookie, I haven’t been there yet, but that’s on the shortlist. It was better than Hard Knox too.

Katie February 25, 2009 at 3:50 am

That mac and cheese looks delicious – it’s hard to imagine how it could be lacking in taste!

foodhoe February 26, 2009 at 5:55 pm

katie, I liked it just fine it as my dining mate who was the picky one!