Foodbuzz Bash at the Press Club

by foodhoe on May 12, 2009

20 Yerba Buena Lane, San Francisco CA 94103 | 415.744.5000 | website

Last week the online community Foodbuzz held a local bash to celebrate reaching its millionth post.  This is one of the many perks I have benefited from by signing up with this SF based food enthusiast network, although I must admit that I just haven’t spent that much time connecting…  But when I received the invite to the Press Club with appetizers prepared by the much celebrated chef and restauranteur Michael Mina, I had to at least check it out.

The Press Club is not a place where journalist gather, it is a tony wine bar that is tucked away in a wide breezeway between hi-rise buildings and is set well away from the bustle of Market Street. The signage on the building would not entice me to wander in, especially because the retail element in front doesn’t really give you a good idea of what to expect inside.  There were foodbuzz signs indicating where to enter and I was greeted by some enthusiastic staffers who signed me in, handed me a foodbuzz passport for some wine tastings, and a nametag label to place on my person. Once ready, I was bustled down a some stairs leading into a large underground area.  At first glance, it looked like a bar, but the space continues back and opens into a separate tasting bays where you can sample an exclusive array of wines direct from eight of Northern California’s most acclaimed wineries.   It’s sleek and modern with groovy lighting.  Once I got downstairs, I wandered through at least 3 other tasting areas with comfy lounge areas that encourage you to be social and sip.

The passport entitled me to two tastes from each winery, so I took a quick walk around and was compelled towards the back area where I had a sample of the Miner Sauvignon Blanc and wandered to a nice cushy seat where several  large platters of cheese were set out.   This was where the real action was, servers were coming in and out of a door to the side, like ants carrying trays through a doorway at the back of the space.

I noticed people had begun lining up so I got in place and waited.  Notice the ratio of food to people…  The traffic in this room did not move very quickly as we all loitered around waiting for the empty platters to be refreshed.

The name tags showed our first and last names in large bold letters followed by our blogname in much smaller print.  I really had to squint and sidle up close to try to actually read the blognames on the tag, but maybe that was the intent…  Plate in hand, I wandered back out and decided to hunt down the Pahlmeyer tasting area where suddenly I saw a friendly face, fellow blogger Passionate Eater, who had just arrived.  Big sigh of relief, I’m really a wallflower at heart so I was very happy to have a comrade to pass the time with.  We enjoyed a glass of viognier from Miner Vineyards and I finished up my plate.  We ended up back by the cheese plates, where we ran into Grumpy Glutton, then talked to a representative from the Rouge et Noir cheese for a while before we noticed that there was no line for food!  This time we loaded up our plates with petite bites of tuna nicoise with tomato and a tiny quail egg half, pork rillette, steak tartare, duck confit cassoulet and another one of those panna cottas.

Same food, same excellent exquisite tiny little bites.   We walked back to the Pahlmeyer tasting area where I got a glass of Jayson chardonnay and Passionate Eater had a glass of the Proprietary Red.  Very good wine, both of them.  Here’s a shot of the full platter which I made everyone wait for while I snapped a photo… the oysters were plump and briny. super fresh tasting and awash with the strong flavor of garlic.  The menu described this as an Island Creek Oyster with pickled ramp granita and Indonesian peppercorns.   Sweet and delicious, this would have been just as good plain!

And what foodhoe post would not be complete without at least one closeup shot.  Here’s that most delicious White Shrimp on Horseradish Pannacotta.

So, yeah the food was fabulous but really tiny…  what can only be described as tastes and a tease.  We all left to go home for dinner.

The wine that I sampled was excellent and I’d really like to go back to check out the regular menu. I’m not so sure that I would have ever found this on my own, so thanks Foodbuzz for putting this on!

Rosa May 12, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Wow, what a fantastic event! I’m jealous ;-P!

Rosas last blog post..GREENHOUSES – SERRES

rowena May 13, 2009 at 2:19 am

How sweet is all that? That’s the plus of you stateside folks because the only event that I could probably manage is if they held one in Hawaii. Maybe. Like you, I don’t connect much — just so many things I can do in a day :o(

The Single Guy May 13, 2009 at 10:29 am

Looks like such an elegant setting for an event like that. Some how my invitation got lost in the mail. LOL, just kidding. I’m not in the foodbuzz network. My blog is so D-list. Ha! I still have to check out the Press Club. Looks really interesting. Never realized they served food outside of special events. Is it a mini restaurant?

P.S. Foodhoe, when are we going to check out Mina’s place? You still haven’t responded to my email, hint hint.

The Single Guys last blog post..Dish on Dining: Eureka Restaurant and Lounge

grace May 13, 2009 at 10:37 am

can ants carry trays? :)
that looks like quite an event, and how cool to meet fellow bloggers!

graces last blog post..’twas mint to be

Cookie May 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

OMG I’m so jealous! Right in my town too! Everything looks SO good. I’m loving the mini bites!

Cookies last blog post..Happy Mother’s Day!

Jenn@slim-shoppin May 13, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Yeah! I’m kind of jealous too! Hopefully they do something like that in Chicago.

I read about their one millionth post. I love the wall with the wine bottles, so pretty!

Jenn@slim-shoppins last blog post..Lemon Poppyseed tea cakes

foodhoe May 15, 2009 at 9:39 am

Rosa and Rowena, yes I do have to thank the lucky stars for living in this great town, along with Foodbuzz! I’m sure they would love to party with you overseas folks too one day.
Grace, you know what i meant tho!
Single guy, ya just have to sign on the dotted line… Maybe we should start our evening off at the wine bar and then move on to MM RN74 wine bar…
cookie, yeah too bad you missed it!
Jenn, it really was a beautiful venue.

Gastronomer May 15, 2009 at 5:03 pm

You lucky girl! I’m so jealous of the bloggers in NYC and SF. Michael Mina?! WOW. What about LA, Foodbuzz?

Gastronomers last blog post..Auntie Em’s Red Velvet Cupcakes

Lando May 16, 2009 at 7:51 am

The event was a blast. I really enjoyed the small bites that they offered. Which was your favorite?

Landos last blog post..Hayes Valley Dining at Absinthe

Passionate Eater May 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I am so glad that I got to see your friendly face too! Otherwise, I probably would have just wandered about aimlessly, and left! I agree, the food was delicious, albeit a little tiny!

Passionate Eaters last blog post..Vietnamese Green Papaya Salad (Goi Du Du)

tastememory May 24, 2009 at 9:15 am

i have missed so much happening here! this sounds like such a fun time. foodbuzz hosted a lovely dinner for us in orlando ~ i lov that they encourage/support the foodie community. *community* is so important – overall it looks like a grande time had by allj ;-)

tastememorys last blog post..bright side to double delight