Best-o-Burger

by foodhoe on August 5, 2009

89 Belden Place (@ Pine), SF, CA | 415.986.3808  | website

I was in training last week and got a chance to check out Best-O-Burger and its new dining area.  Best-o-burger (bob for short) opened last year to great success with its gourmet mini burger made from all natural fresh Angus beef, served on tiny fresh baked buns.  The interior has a sort of glamorous fast-food ambience with a cheerfully modern yellow and red color motif, stark white walls and striking artwork on the walls.

There’s a full crew of burger dudes who sear each burger in an iron skillet cooked to order.

You can order ala carte, but I went with the 2 piece combo which includes two minis and an order of strings and ring-o’s (french fries and onion strings) for $7.12.  After you place your order, you are given a flag with your number on it with instructions to go outside, turn the corner, open the door and descend down into the basement dining area.  It still seems a bit cruel that you have to pass through the excellent outdoor eating area of Belden Place to get to their dark basement dining room.

The ambience is underground day care with plastic furniture.

But it does have a self-serve soda machine and extra nappies and condiments.

Our orders were brought to us on silver platters.  Even the strings and ring-o’s were served in a paper lined silver cup.

Here’s the Vegg-o burger, which is grilled mushrooms with garlic and melted swiss cheese.  It is topped with a lot of pesto and more veggies.

It’s delicious and messy.

Here’s a top shot of the strings and ring-o’s.  I prefer onion rings to onion strings, but these were fresh from the fryer which in my opinion, makes up for just about any offense.  The fries were perfect, crisp on the outside but tender and squishy on the inside.

I also ordered a Sloppy Bob, but thought it was unworthy.  It was a little spicy, but was lacking the chew factor, so I tossed it after a couple of bites and went back to order a mini cheeseburger.   I was only charged $2.68 which seemed like a fine deal to me.

The Cheeseburger is generously slathered with special sauce and has crisp lettuce, a slice of tomato, onion and pickle.  Order this rather than the sloppy bob.  The burger had a nicely charred crust and had a pinkish cast inside.

There’s more interesting wall art in the downstairs dining area, which is good… you need something to distract you from the depressing plastic furniture, low ceilings and fluorescent lighting.   I’d rather take the minis to the roofdeck of the crocker galleria on a nice day, but this works if you are in a hurry…

I loved the mini cheeseburgers and will have to come back to sample some of the other minis from the menu.   They also have locally made gelato that you can enjoy in a mini-shake for $3.

Best-O-Burger on Urbanspoon

Rosa August 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm

An interesting place! Those onion rings and burgers look tasty!

grace August 6, 2009 at 6:53 am

in my experience, the best burgers are extremely messy. this looks like a really fun place, what a relief that the food is tasty too. :)
.-= grace´s last blog ..fingers, strips, tenders, what-have-you =-.

Cookie August 6, 2009 at 10:52 am

I went to Best-o-Burger when it first opened cuz I used to work right across the street and loved it! The line is always out the door but totally worth it. I love how tiny they are! The fries are super crunchy, just the way I like them!
.-= Cookie´s last blog ..More Freezer Meals =-.

Kirk August 6, 2009 at 11:50 am

Hi FH – I never thought I’d say this, but that vegg-o-burger looks mighty good!
.-= Kirk´s last blog ..House of Orchid- Korean and Japanese Restaurant =-.

Gastronomer August 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm

A shame to have to eat lunch in a windowless basement! You should crash the outside seating next time ;-)
.-= Gastronomer´s last blog ..Cool Haus – Los Angeles =-.

hungry dog August 6, 2009 at 2:10 pm

“underground day care”–hilarious and creepy. I love the idea of tiny burgers. I’ll have to check it out.
.-= hungry dog´s last blog ..Comfort me with spaghetti =-.

Tokyo Jesus August 6, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Chowing down on some Fat Bobs right now because of this recommendation. The hamburgers are so good that they make me want to cry. The fries are just perfect. Thank you!!!!

Carolyn Jung August 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Love the Mona Lisa! And the fact that they serve everything on silver platters is just too chic. ;)
.-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Sweet Passions Cupcakes New to Valley Fair Mall =-.

foodhoe August 6, 2009 at 5:09 pm

rosa, I’d love another plate now
grace, yes messy and delicious
cookie, it’s a good thing I’m not across the street! those fries….
kirk, yes a genuinely good veg burger
gastronomer, I think not, each restaurant has a very agressive hawker trying to lure diners into their area…
hungry dog, I do too and they aren’t too small either – just right.
tokyo jesus, thanks i’m weeping with you
carolyn, it is pretty stylish fast food.

cocochanelella August 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm

what a long stretch to the dining area. The cheeseburger looks very charred, the way I like it.
.-= cocochanelella´s last blog ..Late night indulgence at Gussie’s Chicken and Waffles =-.

Katie August 6, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I’ve never heard of Best-o-Burger, but their burgers are really cute and teeny! The onion strings look cool too – I’ve never tried them, but if they are anything like onion rings, I am sure they are just as tasty.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..England 2009 Highlights =-.