Chicken Lollipop

by foodhoe on September 23, 2009

I’m leaving tonight to the midwest for a wedding and visit with the in-laws.  I’m looking forward to seeing some of those famous lakes, because I’ve only been during winter when everything is covered with snow…  Time for another break.  In the meantime, here’s an odd food item that I recently came across, roasted chicken lollipops, Pollito Alvbro.

It’s sweet and savory and even has chili powder mixed in, which gave it a gritty texture.  Interesting tasting, left a weird aftertaste though.  I found this at a taqueria in the Fruitvale district in Oakland and you can get them online here.

although it didn’t exactly remind me of the fried chicken I sampled at Hard Knox Cafe recently…  more about that soon!

Rosa September 23, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Have a great time there! Chicken lollipops, strange!!!

hungry dog September 24, 2009 at 10:04 am

Wow, chicken lollipop–I want that to sound good to me but I can’t say it does. I’ll look forward to your review of Hard Knox. In the meantime, have a great trip!
.-= hungry dog´s last blog ..Rubik’s Cube risotto =-.

The Single Guy September 24, 2009 at 11:06 am

Oh, one of those WTF food discoveries! Was it chicken flavored or sweet? It seems a bit odd because I’d worry about salmonella! Ha! Have fun visiting the Great Lakes!
.-= The Single Guy´s last blog ..Simply Ming-tastic! =-.

Cookie September 24, 2009 at 11:06 am

Ok. I have to say that Chicken lollipops, especially with a chili aftertaste sound pretty gross! I’ll stick to real fried chicken, thanks!
.-= Cookie´s last blog ..Grilled Roast Beef w/Horseradish Mayo =-.

Juliana September 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I must say that chicken lollipop sounds really weird…enjoy your trip 🙂
.-= Juliana´s last blog ..CORN SOUP =-.

grace September 25, 2009 at 8:57 am

good grief, that’s some juicy chicken! you can skewer pretty much anything and i automatically find it more appealing. 🙂
.-= grace´s last blog ..sigh. hello fall. =-.

gaga September 26, 2009 at 12:50 am

Haha, that’s hilarious! Not very appetizing…but hilarious!
.-= gaga´s last blog ..Pear Butter =-.

Kirk September 26, 2009 at 10:31 am

Hey FH – I’ve seen those around, but had always thought them to be a bit odd looking…..
.-= Kirk´s last blog ..Chon Ju Jip =-.

cocochanelella September 26, 2009 at 6:13 pm

lollipop looks odd but hardknox fried chicken definitely rocks!
.-= cocochanelella´s last blog ..Buena Vista Irish Coffee: A (over 21) San Francisco treat… =-.

Gastronomer September 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm

happy travels, my dear foodhoe! nothing says lollipop like turkey.
.-= Gastronomer´s last blog ..Momofuku Ssäm Bar – New York City =-.

Tu September 27, 2009 at 10:45 am

I love the chicken’s candy photo. So cool.Thanks for sharing.
Have a great trip.
.-= Tu´s last blog ..Sapa Rooms Boutique Hotel =-.

Carolyn Jung October 8, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Those are the most hilarious lollipops I’ve ever seen. Good for vegetarians, too, hey? 😉
.-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Zanotto’s Monthly Wine Dinners — A Deal If There Ever Was One =-.

shan June 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I would love to add some variety of them in my menu as i am running a successful thai restaurant in toronto, canada.