Cookies and Ice Cream

by foodhoe on November 29, 2009

It’s funny how small changes can really disrupt your daily routine.  For me, it’s all been one big cluster: new job, getting used to driving in a herd pattern on crowded highways, the holidays, family visits… but the one thing that really messed me up is that I had to return my beloved macbook when I left my previous employment.  So I acquired a tiny little netbook, thinking that would be a viable option, but it’s a toy really, and I already broke the keyboard.  Yes, I have a new laptop from my new employer, but it’s a huge beast (and runs bloody vista) that doesn’t fit on my old laptop desk so my previous methods of keeping up with my favorite blogs, not to mention typing up my own posts, have been seriously cramped.  So anyways, back to the food…  some comfort food – a childhood favorite, cookies and ice cream.  This will soothe a crabby beast like me anytime.

My cousins Sue and Judy visited from SoCal for the recent holidays and helped me make cookies for our Thanksgiving feast.  We made the delicious chocolate chocolate chip cookies that Samantha from Hungry Dog, ordered us to make now.  I’m on it!  The recipe is from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Parties cookbook (thanks Samantha, these were delicious)!  I posted the recipe here.

We made the cookies and bought the ice cream.  Häagen-Dazs goes back to basics with a line of ice cream introduced earlier in the year called Five, which are made of just five ingredients — milk, cream, eggs, sugar and the flavor, which in this case is brown sugar.  It’s pure and clean tasting, just like dipping your spoon into a box of soft, fragrant brown sugar… but even better because it’s ice cream.  A spoonful of rich creamy dairy bliss that fills your mouth with a rich brown sugar flavor with light caramelized aromas, dark mysterious molasses and the sappy aroma of maple syrup. Rather than making an ice cream sandwich, I scooped the ice cream onto the cookie.  It is an entirely pleasurable experience that I highly recommend.

p.s. can you tell that I am still obsessed by the ice cream sandwich from Humphry Slocombe?

Rosa November 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm

A perfect combination! So scrumptious!

Gastronomer November 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I’ve missed you foodhoe! I hope you develop a new routine soonish 😉

I’d be obsessed with the foie gras sammie too!

hungry dog November 29, 2009 at 6:51 pm

foodhoe, I am so happy you made and enjoyed the cookies! Aren’t they chewy and chocolatey and delicious? I hope they helped you find a bit of calm in your newly chaotic life. Hey, get yourself a Mac book for the christmas or any holiday you celebrate!
.-= hungry dog´s last blog ..Texas chili, by way of San Francisco =-.

grace November 30, 2009 at 7:34 am

brown sugar ice cream sounds darn tasty–i’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that. ’tis the perfect topper to some rich chocolate goodness. 🙂
.-= grace´s last blog ..on a cake kick =-.

Single Guy Ben November 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Looks like the holiday sweets are starting up! Those cookies definitely look good for munching while sitting in traffic at the Caldecott tunnel. 😉
.-= Single Guy Ben´s last blog ..What’s ON My Frig? =-.

Carolyn Jung November 30, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I’m still obsessed with the Humphry Slocombe ice cream sandwich, too — and I haven’t even had one yet! Hah!

Juliana November 30, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Absolutely great combination…cookie and ice cream 🙂 YUMMIE!
.-= Juliana´s last blog ..SOUP USING THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER =-.

Kirk December 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Hi FH – Good luck with the new job, and I hope your routine normalizes soon.

Mrs. L December 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Hang in there with the new routine, and the Five Brown Sugar is my favorite!

cocochanelella December 5, 2009 at 3:39 am

I agree, if I had to give up my macbook for a vista I would be way off my game.
.-= cocochanelella´s last blog ..Vietnamese Plum Soda – Soda Xi Muoi =-.

Lick My Spoon December 5, 2009 at 7:29 pm

hmmm i’ve been a bit of a crabby beast myself lately. looks like i may have found a cure… 🙂
.-= Lick My Spoon´s last blog ..Friday Freebie: Sweet N Salty by Design Giveaway =-.

foodhoe December 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Rosa, yes it is perfection!
gastronomer and hungry dog, I finally did it… I ordered a macbook! Merry Christmas to me… and yes, those cookies were very delicious – even the cookie dough was good.
grace, you must find it, it would go so well with all of those delicious baked goods you make.
single guy, yes let the baking begin!
carolyn, I saw they now are selling the foie gras ice cream by the pint…
juliana, yes the best combination ever!
kirk, me too. it’s definitely hard to teach an old dog new tricks…
Mrs. L, thanks
coco, I am shocked at how set I am in my ways. But the new laptop should arrive next week – yipeee!
lick my spoon, yes indeed

las vegas seo June 30, 2010 at 7:18 pm

This is four times now that i’ve landed on your website in the last two days while searching Bing for absolutely unrelated things. Kinda funny. Keep up the good articles!

Molly November 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love cookies and ice cream! Blue Bell ice cream is the best… this with some Homemade Vanilla would have been BOMB. Yum.

-Molly