Foie Gras Ice Cream Love

by foodhoe on November 15, 2009

2790 Harrison St (@24th St) SF, CA 94110 | 415.550.6971 | website | visited 6.16.09

Once again, I made the pilgrimage to the fabulous Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream Parlor, where you can transport your tastebuds out to whacked out and fearless frontiers with startling flavors like boccalone prosciutto, pear miso, red wine and cola, and the elusuive foie gras ice cream sandwiches.  These ice cream sandwiches are infrequently made and in such small quantities, so one must be diligent in the hunt.  I’ve been following them on twitter, just waiting for the word.  At long last, (seriously… it had to be months) I was sitting with my new co-workers eating lunch at Chipotle, when I happened to check and saw it:

On your marks! Get Ready! Get Set! Foie Gras Ice Cream Sandwiches today! 11:55 AM Nov 6th from web

I immediately called and asked that they hold one for me and gleefully skipped in to claim my sandwich the next day. It really was love at first bite…  I mean look at it, it is petite and cherubic and had a lopsided home made appeal… but one bite and you know that it is anything but humble…

several bites in I realized that I had surrendered myself to devouring the worlds most delicious gingersnap cookie, barely noticing the ice cream.  My eager tastebuds were one hundred percent zeroed in on the snappy flavors of the cookie, which I think must always accompany every single scoop of ice cream consumed in the universe.

I had to stop and take a deep breath.  I decided to eat the top cookie so that I could focus on the foie gras ice cream…  The ice cream was rich and buttery, lightly salted with a nice fatty feel on the tongue… it certainly didn’t taste like liver… it tasted like buttery toffee with a light cappuccino finish.  Strangely, it is the cookies that I’m thinking about… and I probably should have eaten another one, in the name of research.

The ever increasing lineup of Humphry Slocombe confections that have been made with Boccalone products: lard caramels, lard shortbread, and the devilishly addictive bacon peanut brittle.

I noticed they had something new, Boccalone Lard Caramels.

The lard leaves a greasy film on your fingers that you must immediately lick off… The caramels look remarkably like bacon drippings, there are little particles of pig suspended within.  These are absurdly delicious, sticky sweet, salty and rich.

Mmmmm, I would love to find some of these treats tucked into my stocking…

Rosa November 16, 2009 at 12:44 am

OMG, that looks fantastic!

.-= Rosa´s last blog ..FROSTED SPICY ROCK CAKES =-.

grace November 16, 2009 at 8:07 am

what a conundrum, enjoying the cookie so much that the unique ice cream almost did get the proper recognition. i wish i had such a predicament. :)
.-= grace´s last blog ..newfangled classic =-.

hungry dog November 16, 2009 at 10:15 am

I’m not sure how it’s possible that I still haven’t made it to HS. The sandwich looks amazing–although I find the idea a little scary–I’m impressed you went for it.
.-= hungry dog´s last blog ..Baking and nothingness =-.

The Single Guy November 16, 2009 at 11:43 am

Hey Foodhoe, how much was the ice cream sandwich? That was nice that they saved one for you. I’m sure they would have sold out that day the tweet went out. Because of my cholesterol, I’m scared to try the extra fattening in that foie gras ice cream, not to mention lard caramels! Eeek! But I love HS and might return to see what kind of flavors they have in the spring. Maybe a sorbetto. :(
.-= The Single Guy´s last blog ..Dinner Fast: Black Bean Clams Recipe =-.

EdibleMarie November 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm

*falls off chair*
.-= EdibleMarie´s last blog ..A Monk’s Pizza =-.

Carolyn Jung November 16, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Foie gras ice cream sandwiches. How crazy good is that? How interesting, too, that the ice cream actually tasted kind of like toffee. I would have never figured on that.
.-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Giving Thanks for a Non-Pie Pumpkin Dessert on Thanksgiving =-.

cocochanelella November 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Your pictures are always detailed and clear but the description on the ice cream and caramel are making me lick my lips! I’m going to be smart like you and call them to save me one.
.-= cocochanelella´s last blog ..Am I reading this right, at the Cheesecake Factory? =-.

Gastronomer November 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Foodhoe – I should have come with you to Humphrey Slocombe that day! Damn, those candies sound sooo good! I love bacon-y sweets.
.-= Gastronomer´s last blog ..Mario’s De La Mesa – San Diego (La Mesa) =-.

foodhoe November 18, 2009 at 2:22 pm

rosa, it’s worth the hour trip…
grace, my life is so difficult sometimes
hungry dog, you can sample as many things as you want, there is an ever changing selection – and so close to you
single guy, it was $5. a small price to pay for foie gras… they had a few sorbets, lots of options
edible marie, yes worth falling off
carolyn, it was surprising I wish I could just try the ice cream. and get a package of the cookies separately…
coco, me too, I need to get another one
gastronomer, you should have, but I as really too full to nibble much at the taste pavillions!

aaron shaw phd November 18, 2009 at 5:00 pm

My gosh the ice cream. It looks way good!

aaron shaw phd November 18, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Gotta love the caramels tooooo!
.-= aaron shaw phd´s last blog ..Baby Animal of the Day! Kiwi! =-.

gaga November 18, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Is that for real? How decadent!
.-= gaga´s last blog ..Ginger Pork =-.

Juliana November 19, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Oh! What a torture not be able to have a bite of the ice cream sandwich!

Mrs. L November 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Lard caramels, lard shortbread, bacon peanut brittle oh my! Dang, I need to stop by and try these!

Taste Tests November 26, 2009 at 8:23 pm

FOIE GRAS ICE CREAM SANDWICHES?! I didn’t know there was such a thing! *faints*
.-= Taste Tests´s last blog ..Giving Thanks =-.

Gina July 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Foie gras is a cruel practice that fattens the livers of ducks. Large pipes are forced down a duck throat and fed over and over until these animals can’t walk or worse their throats are torn open by the constant thrusting of a pipe down their necks. This is cruel and reprehensible just for the pleasure of flavor. People are greedy, gluttonous, and tortuous to innocent animals all for the lust of taste.