Those Sandwiches at Joaquin Deli in San Leandro

by foodhoe on April 1, 2010

275 Joaquin Ave, San Leandro CA 94577 | 510-895-3234 | website

Alas, my lovely hometown, San Leandro is not known for its fine dining, but I have come to terms with that because I have found a place where I can get a delicious, kickass sammie.  That’s all it takes, just the knowing that someone out there cares.  And this seems an unlikely spot, it is in a brightly painted converted house that is tucked away on a quiet residential street, several blocks away from the main thoroughfare.  But as soon as you step inside, you can tell these guys are serious about their business, which is sandwiches and lunchtime fare.

I posted about how much I love their sandwiches here, but it’s spring and we always seem to visit when the weather is sunny and we’ve worked up an appetite laboring in the yard.  This is our spot, a cozy little table out in the front porch where we can enjoy a cool breeze.

Here is Rennie, sandwich maker extraordinaire!  I had to take a picture of her using the blowtorch to give the sandwich the appropriately charred appearance.

This got the double treatment, blow torch to melt the cheese and char the onion and then into the panini grill to lightly crisp the wondeful ciabatta bread….

The sandwich was piled high with tender slices of roast beef, melted cheese, thick rings of sweet red onion, drizzled with a spicy sauce that set my tastebud tingling and the perfect amount of crisp fresh spinach.

Here is a cross section to show you that this is no wimpy sandwich, no indeed.

And I love the marvelous potato salad, it is bursting with flavor, full of crunchy pieces of onion and celery and flecks of fresh herbs.

I was enticed to try this week’s special, which included grilled bacon, asparagus, spinach, tomato and spicy ranch sauce.

Here is a cross section, it is a work of art.  There’s something about the thin slices of bacon which haven’t been fried in the pan to a crisp, instead you can savor the rich flavors of the smoked meat and soft lacework of chewy fat.  The layers of fresh vegetables are surrounded by the rich bacon and combine to make a rich feast indeed.   The spicy ranch sauce was so good that Mr. K asked for some to put onto his sandwich, and came back with a tiny cup filled with that ubiquitous condiment of Asian restaurants, sriracha…  ahhhh, sriracha mixed into ranch dressing with that bacon…  sigh…

This is Mr. K’s favorite sandwich, it’s grilled chicken breast with aioli, spinach, lightly blanched asparagus and slivers of sundried tomato.  Now, the thing about the delicious succulent chicken is that Rennie cooks it fresh on the grill every day.

It is slathered with the perfect amount of garlicky aioli.

I signed up to be on their mailing list and get regular emails with the current week’s special, you can too by sending an email to order@joaquindeli.com with subscribe in the subject.  I’m so glad they are open on Saturdays so we can be part of the sandwich club too (get your card stamped and after 10 sandwiches, you get one free) and they have free wifi, so you can get caught up online while you dine.

Joaquin Deli on Urbanspoon

Rosa April 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

Those sammies are incredible! So tall, mouthwatering and not plain at all!

Cookie April 1, 2010 at 11:55 am

I also grew up in San Leandro and went to elementary and the first half of middle school there. These sammies look amazing and I love your pictures of the cross section! I would definitely go for the Chicken with Aioli! YUM!

Phyllis April 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Wow those sandwiches are stuffed. And that’s some serious blowtorch action. Wish I had a neighborhood place like that where I live!
.-= Phyllis´s last blog ..Durian for Dummies =-.

Kirk April 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm

What a great equation, blowtorch + cheese = delicious.

Gastronomer April 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Made with love and packed with meat? I can get behind this place 😉 Oh, and the blow torch. Fire! Fire! (Said in a Beavis and Butthead voice)
.-= Gastronomer´s last blog ..Pike Place Chowder – Seattle =-.

grace April 2, 2010 at 4:25 am

all of those sandwiches can certainly be considered works of art! i applaud any cook who takes that much time and effort to concoct a quality sandwich. and hey–she gets to play with a blowtorch all day, what could be better? 🙂

Carolyn Jung April 2, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Love the blowtorch touch! Man, the hubby, aka Meat Boy, would go wild for these sammies. Must make a stop the next time we’re anywhere near San Leandro!
.-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Foodie Events — From Tamales to Tom Douglas and More =-.

foodhoe April 4, 2010 at 8:53 am

rosa, that is for sure
cookie, that is always on the menu and always so good
phyllis, it is a great spot and I must thank my lucky stars!
kirk, yep. great food and entertaining too!
gastronomer, I can totally hear you saying that…
grace, so true!
carolyn, I think he would love it

Single Guy Ben April 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I remember reading your post last time. I wish I could convince my uncle and aunt who lives in San Leandro to take me there but they always want to go get dim sum and Prince House. I may have to sneak away after visiting them to pick up one of these huge sammies!
.-= Single Guy Ben´s last blog ..Special Eggs at Farmers Market =-.

ookk November 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

oh, you guys have to try the BLT Magic…