A month of eggs

by foodhoe on September 22, 2010

September is better breakfast month, did you know?  The nights are getting longer and I can feel a chill in the air.  I like to start the day fortified with something warm and filling and almost always turn to eggs.  One egg is only 72 calories and provides 6.3 grams of protein and many vital nutrients, you can read more interesting nutritional info about eggs here.  My favorite is eggs on toast, and I will show you the many ways to enjoy it… and how you can score a month of eggs while you’re at it.

My go-to breakfast is to hard cook the egg and serve it sliced on toast.  I put the eggs in a pot filled with cold water, then heat it to a boil on the stove.  Put the lid on and remove from the heat.  Let sit for 8 to 10 minutes.  Then drain the water and fill the pot with cold water to lower the temperature of the eggs.  I usually end up whacking the eggs on the edge of the sink and peel them under the running water.  It seems easier that way…  The absolute simplest breakfast is to just eat the hard cooked egg, dipped in salt and pepper.  I am absolutely gaga for a toast made from crusty bread or baguette that is slathered with mayo (actually I am addicted to vegenaise) and served with slices of cucumber and tomato.  Liberally dust the entire plate with black pepper and a little salt.

This is equally delicious with slices of avocado or radishes if you like something snappy…

I also have this gorgeous copper double boiler with ceramic inserts from Williams-Sonoma that makes the most amazing scrambled eggs ever.

This is how you can make scrambled eggs that have the consistency of rich custard…  The eggs take forever to cook, because the thick porcelain insulates and prohibits overcooking or scorching.  I don’t think you are allowed to make rubbery eggs in this device!

Of course, scrambled with a handful of spinach and asparagus is another simple preparation that tastes great on toast.  Toast can be used to shovel this up very nicely.

The scrambled eggs with fresh herbs on crostini from Il Cane Rosso in the SF Ferry Building, are even better if you didn’t have time to do this at home and are on BART looking at this on your mobile device and wishing you too could have eggs on toast…

The other alternative is to fry the eggs sunny side up.  I think it is just easier to slide the eggs directly on the toast.  Just be sure you have a large plate nearby to catch the drips.

This is a breakfast we had with some leftover black beans and salsa, along with some spicy fried rice from another meal served on top of a griddled flour tortilla and a dollop of sour cream.

And then there’s the simple frittata, I was inspired by the Barefoot Contessa’s recipe, but skipped the ricotta.  The thing about frittata is that you can really use any combination of vegetables and herbs, whatever you have in the fridge…

And lastly a gorgeous Shrimp Omelette that I enjoyed at Cock-A-Doodle Cafe in Oakland.

So now that you are craving eggs, I can hook you up.  One lucky reader or stumbler onto this post, will win a month’s supply of Horizon Organic Eggs.  Actually it’s four coupons each good for one dozen eggs – the coupons are good for at least a year so you don’t really have to eat them all in a month.  Horizon eggs are produced by free range hens that are fed a 100% organic, vegetarian diet.

To enter, tell me about your breakfast routines. Do you even eat breakfast? Do you grab a bagel on the way to the office? How often do you have a sit down breakfast as a family?  Where is your favorite breakfast spot?  Just be sure to enter your email address so I can contact you.  The coupons are only good in the US…  I will randomly choose a number to pick the winner on the last day of the month, I’m not here to judge what you eat for breakfast

Some other egg photos from the foodhoe files.  These are more elaborate affairs – an extravagance of golden yolks and definitely a better breakfast than most.  This is a pile of fresh dungeness crab, some spicy chorizo, avocado and a fresh herb scramble made by Mr. K.

A lovely classic plate of fried eggs, home potatoes, toast and sausage.

The famous Chilaquiles Guanajuato from Primavera at the SF Ferry Plaza Farmers Market only on Saturdays.  The line for this plate is understandably long where you must patiently sniff the tantalizing aroma of chiles and frying corn tortillas…

My own Locomoco, a bowl of rice topped with fried eggs over a hamburger and a generous pour of shiitake mushroom gravy

Eggs and bacon go well in a salad too.  This is the Salad Lardon from Globe Restaurant in SF.

And lastly, a fried egg on pizza!  This is from Pizzaiolo in Oakland.  If you haven’t tried it, the crusts are really good dipped into the yolk…

Addendum:

10/01/10 using a super high tech method

I pulled the following number from the bowl…  comment 16: Erin from Long Island, you are the winner!

Rosa September 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

Yummy! I love egg dishes!

Single Guy Ben September 22, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’m reading this in the morning and I’m totally awake now! 🙂 I love eggs but don’t eat it every day. Still, I’m a fan. I love that copper double boiler. Did you buy it just for scrambling eggs? Or can it be used for something else? Your loco moco looks so comforting too!

The Home Cook September 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

I love eggs but I don’t have a chance to have them very often. I eat breakfast at work everyday – right now it’s half an everything bagel with cream cheese and a slice of tomato.

Lawyer Loves Lunch September 22, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I generally skip breakfast during the week (sad, I know) but I love me some eggs on the weekend. I recently tried my hand at poaching and it was a bit of a disaster. Can’t wait for Saturday so I can try again 🙂

Lisa Forrest September 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Love eggs! We eat them every chance we get! GREAT POST! Made me hungry!

Janet F September 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I eat breakfast almost daily. I like to alternate between eggs, cereal, and yogurt with fruit.

janetfaye (at) gamil (dot) com

Lisa Forrest September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

My daughter and I have breakfast every day together. I try really hard to get a yogurt, fresh fruit and juice in there but her hands down favorite is scrambled eggs with cheese, bananas and orange juice. GREAT POST! Made me hungry! I’m going to go make us eggs for dinner!

Barbara Riley September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I am bad I do usually skip breakfast. But when I do have breakfast it is a hard boiled egg lately. But I do love an omelette with spinach and swiss cheese. On the weekends is when we have our family sit down breakfast with my husband in the military it is just easier then during the week. He gets up to dang early.

Cali September 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

My top three breakfasts involving eggs are: poached eggs on toasted and buttered brioche or challah, Dutch baby pancake with powdered sugar and lemon wedges to squeeze over the pancake, and my grandmother’s “wink-eyes.” Wink-eyes are the same thing as what some call egg in a nest, that is a piece of bread with a hole in the middle that the egg goes into as the bread and salted and peppered egg are fried in butter. She always served the fried hole over the egg so that the egg would “wink” when the hole was moved. There is nothing quite as lovely as dipping that hole (fried in butter) into that perfectly cooked, runny yolk. It’s so delicious that my mouth is watering just writing about it. Mmmmm, wink-eyes. I wish I could figure out how to write that Homer Simpson food lust noise.

robyn September 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm

on the road a lot, but love grilled breakfast sandwich, sourdough with ham, cheese and egg. yummy! and experiment with different cheeses.

Chris R September 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I try never to skip breakfast especially on days I work. I usually start with coffee or tea and then oatmeal with dried fruit and cinnamon and sometimes add Boca sausages. It fills me up til lunch usually. Your egg dishes sound so delicious. I live in an area that sadly doesn’t have good breakfasts places. I miss SF. Lived there in the early 90’s.

James September 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I eat breakfast everyday, and LOVE eggs.

Krista September 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Breakfast staple every day is 2-4 eggs, cooked more or less frittata-style, in butter or coconut oil. Oatmeal with blueberries and a bit of stevia accompanies the eggs if I’m still hungry, but most days the oatmeal waits for lunch.

I love eggs…

And what a FABULOUS post!!! So delicious-looking, and so many healthy ideas!!! Thanks!!! 🙂

Karen Tran September 23, 2010 at 2:24 am

I love eggs too! I eat them at least 3 times a week. I love soft boiled with toast soldiers. I do a fake coddle/ steam thing with cream and any herbs I have on hand. I also like doing a chanwanmushi (sp?? – steamed egg custard)too. Yeah EGGS!

April September 23, 2010 at 4:07 am

I usually just scramble the eggs with a little cheese and maybe some turkey. Easy peasy…

Erinfrom Long Island September 23, 2010 at 5:15 am

Im not a big breakfast eater. I kinda sleep late so my first meal is usually a big salad loaded with greens and herbs, homemade pickled veggies, and hard boiled eggs!

Jonny September 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

This was almost overwhelming! Every shot more laviscious than the last. I’m feeling all punch drunk but instead of bleeding from the mouth, I suspect I should be drooling yolk instead.

foodhoe September 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Single guy, I bought it on sale with the discount and yes I did get it to cook scrambled eggs…
lunching lawyer, how impressive, I wish I knew how to poach eggs. Hope they come out next time.
Cali, I love that story about winking eyes, they sound delicious!
Chris, I thank my lucky stars that I live in the Bay Area every day…
Karen, I love soft boiled eggs, but haven’t had luck trying to make them. I love chawanmushi my mom used to make it for us when we were sick.
Jonny, omg just like in tampopo!
Tom, that just sounds amazing

Cookie September 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Wow that’s a lotta eggs! I especially like the one on the pizza!

Tom Bacon September 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I have a great fondness for poached eggs on toast, which I have at least once weekly. If I have a small amount of meat left over I chop it up and cook with green onions, chopped jalapeño, and 3 eggs mixed and cooked quickly. Nom. Hard boiled are snacks for me, in fact I have a small bowl of salt and pepper mixed up just for my hard eggs. Love your site and your excellent writing.

Louie W September 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm

The wife and I always have eggs and bacon Saturday morning. Depending on what is available, we’ll have a tortilla, toast, or crusty bread with it. We cook the bacon and eggs on our electric skillet, and we use the leftover bacon for the rest of the week.

hungry dog September 26, 2010 at 10:38 am

I don’t like eggs, but I do like this post! And the bright orange eggs in that photo of the mexican breakfast…I’m a bit hypnotized by those. So pretty!

Sandy Nevels September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am

Do you even eat breakfast? Yes everyday, whether its a hard boiled egg or a bowl or oatmeal. I always find a little something.
Do you grab a bagel on the way to the office? Sometimes, yes. Ill usually only eat half, they fill me up quickly.
How often do you have a sit down breakfast as a family? Only on weekends, weekdays are too hectic. Plus my husband leaves way too early.
Where is your favorite breakfast spot?
Definately a restaurant called the Pancake House, here you can get breakfast all day and pancakes made in the most odd, but tasty ways!
By the way, your egg recipes looks good, Im going to have to try them myself. I love eggs! Sometimes Ill just make breakfast for dinner, so I can have my egg fix!

Sheena September 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I generally make a weeks worth of granola on Sunday, and have that with milk, soy, or yogurt. On weekends I like to do more savory breaskfasts e.g., hash, sausage, bacon, eggs – I’m on a poach kick lately or any leftovers from a night out.

grace October 11, 2010 at 3:02 am

the incredible edible egg indeed. is there any other foodstuff that’s so versatile? i think not. your scrambled eggs look insanely delicious.