Crack Pie for Thanksgiving and a visit by the Fairy Hobmother…

by foodhoe on December 1, 2011

The Thanksgiving holiday gets lost in the frenzy of cooking a perfect turkey with all the fixins, the Black Friday/Cyber-Monday deals, and then there’s the pressure to get the Christmas tree up and the lights strung up outside… Life is so busy that I forget that the world is a wondrous place and that I have things to be thankful for.

Enter the Fairy Hobmother…  If you are reading this blog, then surely you must read other food blogs and have noticed the Fairy Hobmother spreading joy and happiness on the interwebs.  A while back I commented on a post on on of my favorite blogs, Rosa’s Yummy Yums who is practically an online fairy godmother herself with her magnificent website filled with stunning images that chronicle her culinary adventures.  Besides her prolific posts, she also spreads inspiration and encouragement with her thoughtful comments on numerous other blogs.  I mean that girl seriously gets around…   Last week, I received an email from the Fairy Hobmother, from Appliances Online in the UK with instructions to include this link on one of my posts (how I would love that hood in my kitchen)!  Her mission is to bring joy and happiness to the world’s bloggers by providing treats for our efforts in the blogosphere!   I just received the online love in my inbox– a $75 Amazon gift voucher, I must thank my lucky stars, Rosa and the Fairy Hobmother, you rock!  Leave a comment and make a wish, you could be visited next…

So, yeah, back to Thanksgiving…  we had two feasts in 24 hours. Mr. K’s sister and brother-in-law brought a turkey feast to us on Thanksgiving eve, and my sister came up and did all of the cooking for our family feast at my parents house.  I won’t bore you with the turkey, but will share some of the sides.  She made the most fabulous Gulliver’s Creamed Corn that was rich and fluffy and so decadent.

My cousin Roy made brussel sprouts with bacon.

And this is the cornbread loaf that my sister in law Casey made for us.  It was savory and filled with surprises: chewy kernels of fresh corn, toasted walnuts, and sauteed mushrooms.  Unusual and delicious!

Me, I made Momofuku’s Crack Pie. I was met by blank looks and incredulity.  Everyone asked Crack Pie?  What’s Crack Pie?  Well, maybe it’s because we live out here on the opposite end of the continent from the Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC, but it has made such a sensation I was surprised that no one had heard of it.  But then, my family had never heard of Momofuku‘s Bo ssäm either…  The recipe is freely available online, just google it, but I got the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook version that you can read on your ipad or kindle and includes recipes for compost cookies and cereal milk panna cotta…  Sounds yummy, no?  The crack pie doesn’t look like much (and I undercooked it so that the intensely rich and dense center that released a soft and oozy caramel, not a bad thing if you ask me…

It is a sweet and salty, sugary-buttery confection that is very decadent and very intense.  The recipe for the crust begins with a gigantic oatmeal cookie which is then whirled in the food processor with butter and brown sugar, then pressed into the pan.  It forms a chewy crust that is infused with the rich buttery caramel flavor from the filling.  Once you get started, it’s impossible to stop.  And then later you want some more…

Keep hopping boppers and don’t forget to make a wish…

Cookie December 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

OMG I always see Rosa’s Yummy Yums leaving a comment on your blog but never clicked on it. Her website is so beautiful! Ok…making a wish now… :)

Rosa December 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

What gorgeous food! That pie looks just to-die-for!!!

I am ever so happy to hear that the fairy hobmother visited you after you left a comment on my blog. Awesome, congrats! :-D

grace December 2, 2011 at 6:15 am

holy speedo, that last image of pie innards is amazing!

Ben December 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

I love how the crack pie looks all puffy and golden right out of the oven. … That fairy hobmother thing sounds so fun. And I like your added touch of the “happy dust.” :)

foodhoe December 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

cookie, yes Rosa’s site is amazing isn’t it?
rosa, thanks so much!
grace, you always crack me up… pie innards!
Ben, the kitchen smelled really good too.. lol it was just all too happy huh?

Sandy December 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

YUMMMMMM! I’m particularly obsessed with brussel sprouts but with BACON? Yes, please!! Found your site through Ben’s blogroll– looks great!

Minta December 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

That pie looks so good.
I would love a visit from the Fairy Hobmother. please visit.
Minta

mintab@gmail.com

Carolyn Jung December 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Oooh, the famous crack pie! I bet you have your whole family turned into addicts. There’s no turning back now. LOL

Passionate Eater December 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I saw your pix of your delicious crack pie creation on FB. Sounds like your family loved it, and you introduced them to a little bit of David Chang (and “crack”)! I am so glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

hungry dog December 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Well, *I* have heard of crack pie (am obsessed with Momofuku even though I’ve only been to the SSam bar) and it sounds amazing. Actually, your whole Thanksgiving does. That creamed corn a la Gulliver…is that from Gulliver’s Restaurant? (Is that place still around? It was a spot for “fancy” bday dinners when I was a kid. I remember their creamed spinach.) Anyway, I digress. Happy holidays, foodhoe! And btw I tried several times to comment on your Zuni post but had trouble. I love love love that place, sounds like you had another winner of a meal there. xoxo

Bonnibella December 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm

You inspire me of instead of waiting to visit New York to eat crack pie. I should just make it at home. Why wait?

I love how you arranged your Thanksgiving dish, a little of everything and more.

Deb Anderson December 6, 2011 at 7:37 am

Since I adopted two stray kittens, my tiny apartment has become Cat Hair Central! Help!! My old worn out vacuum cleaner was fine when it was just me, but now it’s inadequate for getting up pet hair and dander, especially from furniture. My list of needs (and wants!) is long this year (my kitchen oven quit working completely and only 2 burners still work – Christmas without baking?? unthinkable!) but I’d be thrilled with a new vacuum cleaner. Something has to give… either the fur babies go or the hair goes. I hope it’s the hair. :)

AndreaM December 6, 2011 at 9:35 am