A delightful crab feast

by foodhoe on November 18, 2013

feisty_crabs

Mid-November marks the beginning of the dungeness crab season in the Bay Area, and we decided to celebrate my Mom’s birthday with a crab feast. My dear mom has had a tough time recently with some medical issues and we were all so relieved that she has recovered that we felt the need to celebrate.  Mr. K drove over to Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay and picked up a cast of freshly caught dungeness crab.  It was lucky he got there early as there was only one boat that went out that day and apparently there were people buying 20-30 crabs each!  We prefer getting them fresh off the boat when they are vigorous and lively.  They were all over 3 pounds, and stacked into formation nicely after their hot bath.

crab stack

I cleaned and shelled several of them which we ate plain drizzled with fresh lemon, or a sprinkle of bottled yuzu that I have, or with some hogwash, which is my go to condiment for fresh seafood.  Click here for the original recipe from Hog Island Oysters, it is simple and perfect and makes any fresh seafood dazzling.

crab

My Aunt Motoe brought over a delicious appetizer, ponzu marinated cream cheese filled with a thick layer of pungent wasabi and topped with toasted furikake (a savory topping generally made with sesame seeds, dried seaweed and other aromatic spices).  It was delicious served with savory thin rice mini crackers from TJ’s.

creamcheese_wasabidip

On the way back from Half Moon Bay, Mr. K stopped off at Nijiya Market in San Mateo and picked up a couple trays of fresh Uni (sea urchin) for an extra treat.

uni

My cousin Roy helped throw this together, a mashup of garlic noodles with Eric Ripert’s recipe for Sea Urchin Pasta, sans the caviar but with the addition of delectable crab butter, YUM!

uni_pasta

I reserved a couple of the crabs for Mr. K to mix with a garlicky buttery sauce and roast using this recipe which is inspired by Thanh Long in SF.  The sauce infuses the sweet flesh of the crab and makes for an intoxicating and finger licking good dish.

garlic roasted crab

I like to serve this with garlic bread, which is perfect to dip into the garlicky sauce from the roasted crab.

garlic_bread

To round out the meal, I made cheesy gooey scalloped potatos, these make any meal extra special.

taters

My first plate, including salad of fresh spring mix with toasted walnuts, blue cheese and vinaigrette.

crab_plate

A delicious way to celebrate my Mom’s birthday.  We finished with store bought chocolate cake and off-key singing.

Ben @Focus:Snap:Eat November 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Yay, love crab season! Seems early this time (or maybe it’s because Thanksgiving is so late). Love all the ways you prepared it, especially mixing in with the uni pasta. Uni, butter and crab make a great mixture for a meal. Glad to hear your mom is doing better! Birthday hugs to her!

foodhoe November 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

aww, that’s nice Ben, thanks.

Shikha @ Shikha la mode November 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Wow, this looks like a fantastic meal! I’m so bad at cracking crabs, but it’s a skill I want to learn.

foodhoe November 21, 2013 at 10:08 am

Somehow over the years I am now the designated crab cracker, so it seems that getting to the crab meat is a really good motivator

Eugen November 19, 2013 at 8:01 am

First of all, Happy Birthday to your Mom! And second, as I’m just starting to like shellfish, I need to learn to cook crabs like this, cause it looks like a real treat!

Juliana November 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Yum! What a great meal Sandy…uni and crabs…these would make me very happy.
Thanks for this great post and hope you are having a great week 😀

Kirk November 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Man, that’s quite a feast!

Gastronomer November 20, 2013 at 11:11 am

Now, THAT’S how a birthday ought to be celebrated!

Rowena November 21, 2013 at 12:26 am

I was all ready to trade some of my white truffle for those beautiful dungeness crabs, and then I saw the uni and I’m like – WAAAAHHHHH! I want! They’re available here but you have to 1). cut open the sea urchins and scoop out the roe yourself or 2.) settle for less than appealing sea urchin in silly little tin.

The only other option is to get thyself to a proper restaurant that prepares uni with pasta but the authentic ones are all in the south of Italy and not available year-round.

foodhoe November 21, 2013 at 10:11 am

Rowena, I’ve always wanted to scoop the roe out myself, but we just don’t ever encounter them au naturel…. I’d trade a tray of uni for a truffle any day!

Row December 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Belated Happy Birthday to your mom! 🙂 What an excellent feast. I made hungry noises when I got to the photo of the crab with lemon. Those chunks of crab are enormous… incredible! I’m on a mission to find some whole crab now. 🙂