Burritos from Pepe’s Mexican Tacqueria

by foodhoe on September 8, 2008

27915 Mission Blvd, Hayward, CA, 94544 | (510) 538-5393

We were working on the interminable home project and needed something substantial to fuel the beast.  Mr. K tends to favor burritos for this purpose because taquerias and taco trucks make the best kind of fast food, where you get delicious food that is prepared before your eyes. I found this brightly colored taqueria while driving way far down Mission Blvd, almost to the far end of Hayward – in fact I saw a sign that said Haymont, which I think means I entered the border between Hayward and Fremont.  There is not much along this stretch, a bunch of small car lots, a cemetary, and strangely enough, a hookah palace.

I was the only person in the place, so I was able to take my time looking over the menu.  I decided to order a Chile Verde burrito which was the daily special.  It was full of big pieces of tender pork and I was an instant fan of Pepe’s Chile Verde.  I was bewitched with the moist shreds of meat and the absolutely perfect ratio of meat, cheese, beans and rice.  It was very good with the spicy salsa.

I ordered a Steak Fajita burrito for Mr. K who couldn’t believe how good the grilled peppers, onion and beef were inside of a burrito.  The preparation seems to me a good way to get fresh cooked meat, rather than something that has been sitting in a bin for a while.  While the Chile Verde was excellent, this fajita burrito was even better.

On another visit we got a Chicken Fajita burrito which was full of big pieces of chicken and included avocado.  The charred edges and caramelized onion was not as artfully done as the other day, but it was still pretty good.

We have a lot of taquerias nearby, but both the Chile Verde and the Fajita burritos at Pepe’s are worth the further drive.  I’ve only ordered food to go, but there is a decent dining area lined with portraits of revolutionary heroes Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata.

Pepes on Urbanspoon

Rosa September 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I’d love to visit one of those! Tex mex food is so scrumptious!

Rosas last blog post.."THE OMNIVORE’S HUNDRED" MEME

rowena September 9, 2008 at 9:04 am

Too scrumptious for words! I know that I’m going to change my mind several times on this one, but for my Last Meal I would love to be dining on eats from a tacqueria and/or taco truck. I am transfixed…and it’s not because my screen is doing a slow freeze on me….

I hope this more than made up for being “disenfranchised” while volunteering at Slow Food!

Kirk September 9, 2008 at 9:25 am

Hi FH – Looks tasty. But the main thing I like about those burritos is that they are not to the explosion point with rice!

foodhoe September 9, 2008 at 11:49 am

rosa, you’re right, it is scrumptious!
rowena, yes you can be sure I made up for lost time… Mexican food is one of my favorites too
kirk, yes that’s what I really like about those burritos, great proportions.

Single Guy Chef September 9, 2008 at 11:50 am

Mmmm, those burritos looked good, especially the tender pork!

Single Guy Chefs last blog post..Bumpy Bittermelons at U.N. Plaza Farmers Market

Passionate Eater September 10, 2008 at 8:23 pm

I think you’ve just inspired me to check out this place next time I am in the Mission. It is great to read how there was not wait and the burritos were perfect.

Passionate Eaters last blog post..I Dream of Deanie’s

Passionate Eater September 10, 2008 at 8:24 pm

I meant to say “Mission Blvd.” in Hayward!

Passionate Eaters last blog post..I Dream of Deanie’s

Passionate Eater September 10, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Forgive me for my numerous brain farts and overall ignorance, Foodhoe.

Passionate Eaters last blog post..I Dream of Deanie’s

foodhoe September 11, 2008 at 7:14 am

Chef Ben, this are my current favorite taqueria
PE you crack me up, what’re a few typos between friends?